View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Allin

Explaining to the family

I am actually thinking about becoming a non-drinker thanks to this forum. I have ordered the RR book and have read through the crash course. But, and this is probably the AV talking, I am actually more afraid of what my family and friends will think of me if I become a non-drinker than I am of quitting.

Let's be clear. I have a great family. They are supportive and loving, but none of them have drinking problems, nor do I know of anyone that has dealt with it. I really would like to not be seen as the one with a "disease" in the family. No-one has ever seriously and repeatedly confronted me about my drinking. But I do it in "secret", well at least the extra three shots of vodka in the garage are "secret". I have to cut back or stop.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to talk to family about my decision to become a non-drinker? I don't want to make a big deal out of it, but it would be hard to simply stop drinking without acknowledging the change at all. I have thought about simply saying that I'm on a diet, which I guess would work for a while, but what then?