Thread: Detox
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2002, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Iolo
Paused

Detox

Hello. I'm looking for general information on what detox medication is like, or if it's even necessary.

I've been drinking on an almost daily basis for about 10 years now. I go to work, come home, drink 13-15 Bud Lights, eat, and go to sleep. I live alone, and drink alone. Until now, I've never admitted to anyone but myself I have a problem.

The thing is, I can't just pick up and leave my job for a month to go to rehab. I'd like to get a prescription for medication, and start going to AA meetings, but I've heard the stuff makes the taker sleep a lot. Is that true?

The reason I ask this is, even though I don't even think about drinking until I'm home at night, I'm scared to stop without medication. My brother, who has been sober for three years, had a seizure while trying to quit cold turkey once. But, at that time his life consisted of waking up and drinking hard liquor until he passed out again, and going for days on end without food.

I've been reading the posts in this forum, and it seems like many people here have stopped drinking with only the help of AA. Is this true? Or am I deluding myself with my "plan?"