Old 04-03-2005, 03:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Cathy31
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hi Joanne

I think that was a really wise thing to do. As DAve said in time it's gonna be 'ok' to do that kind of stuff (ie meeting in a bar where the primary occupation is drinking) but one wouldn't want to make a habit of it. I had this one good friend who I only see about monthly and we used to go out for supper and have loads of wine and chat and laugh and carry on....well I happened to be in the city the other day and we met up last minute type thing I thought it would be better to go for a coffee but we ended up going for early supper and she was so sweet, we both had water and lime and sodas (didn't make it an issue or even mention it) and we had SUCH craic! We stayed for hours and we laughed so much we were both crying at times (that's what I do when I REALLY laugh!) and were there for hours - all sober! Imagine!

Also, being in a pub *someone* will try and convince you to drink...I had it the other day, a friend I hadn't seen, I was totally honest said I was in AA, I was just sick of the madness of my binge drinking and she was horrified! She said, no you don't need AA, you just overdo it sometimes like the rest of us, etc etc etc Luckily this was all done over email but imagine if we'd been in a bar, she'd had a few drinks, I was feeling wobbly ..well it wouldn't take much)

Anyway! I think it's a great decision - it CAN be done, but why put oneself through something like this unnecessarily early on.

WELL DONE on your 30 days, that is so awesome!!!

Well done and good for you!

Cathy31
x