View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
soberjuly

Well, one day of drinking...and then there's the hangover, the 3 kids that I have to deal with sober or not, the fact that I would accomplish nothing for days, looking bad, feeling bloated, I'd probably wake at 3am and not sleep for a couple hours and then still need to wake early and have a really pissy day. Then I would wonder if I sent any nasty emails and I'd cringe to open Facebook because who knows what I posted? I'd have to check my "sent mail" while holding my breath. Maybe I wouldn't have enough for the day and I'd have to go buy alcohol and I always felt embarrassed buying alcohol.

This post reminded me of a song lyric "but I let the dream go and the promises broke and the make-believe ran out..."...because we've been sold this dream that alcohol is what you do for fun but when I read people's stories here, I don't see a lot of fun. I see a lot of pain.

The alcohol industry should show the truth, people drinking alcohol and marriages broken, kids neglected, health problems, weight gain, friendships ruined, jobs being lost, people financially ruined, accidents, DUIs, arrests, people being killed by drunk drivers and/or killing themselves. I guess it just isn't fun for me anymore.