View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Tiffyw12

Hi sc277, I'm sure you will have lots of really good advice once your post has been on a few hours. There are loads of great people on this site with insightful advice and experience.

You are still so young so don't be too hard on yourself. Life is just starting for you and you should be looking forward to all the good things it is going to bring you. I think, personally, If I'd have seen my binge drinking in my 20's was a sign I probably couldn't handle drinking responsibly, I may not be in the position I am now. 39 with two kids and fighting addiction. It has been a horrible part of my life for the last 9 years. I saw drinking in my 20's as a kind of right, I was young, I worked hard, why not drink every weekend. Ok, so loads of people do this and its not a problem. I knew by 29 I was using alcohol to blur stress out, give me confidence, make me happy, reward myself, give me a perk up, you name it, I found an excuse. I suffered allot of trauma in my mid 20's and never got help, psychologically. Perhaps if I had, I would not be in this position today and would have found some coping techniques for stress factors in my life.

I have heard many people ask if their drinking habits are normal. Usually based on how much they drink, when and why? Well all I can say if it is concerning you and making you feel like crap, you need to think about the possible reasons you are using alcohol in excess. I know at your age the thought of sobriety, forever, is harsh. But try and get the deep down issues out and see where that leaves you. See your Doctor and be honest. Talk to a local alcohol service and get some advice/counselling.

I really do wish you all the best. Be kind to yourself.