View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

I want to have a glass of wine at my wedding, take my younger sister out for her 21st birthday, etc. Should I take the plunge and surrender and commit to sobriety completely? Or should I try and "calm it down" for a few months? I'm rambling but anyone who read this that has any input, please help me. I'm desperate.
I think most of us try to 'calm it down'. For me that was long before I got here. I know I have no control over my intake after that first drink. Calming down is an impossibility for me.

I think, too, most of us have a catalogue of future events we can't imagine without alcohol.

My advice is to try and stay in today. Stay sober for today...Repeat tomorrow. You may find, like i did, that you vastly prefer your life without alcohol. Those special occasions will still be special... and they;re all the more special to me because I can remember them and I didn't embarrass myself or others

I know it's all unknown, immense and scary right now...but try not to leap too far ahead just yet. Things have a way of sorting themselves out

D