Thread: Rehab
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MelindaFlowers

Dominica,

It also frustrates me that rehab is so expensive. I wish everyone who needed it was able to afford it. While you wait and figure it out, why not experiment with sobriety on your own? I was an every day, very heavy drinker who drank for a year after the doctor told me stop. I thought I was hopeless. I told myself that if I didn't or wouldn't or couldn't do it on my own the next step would be rehab. In the end I was at the point of having to drink to feel normal. The fun was gone and I was only using it to keep my equilibrium. I did not think I could do one single day.

My program has been coming to this site and relating to the stories of others who are here. I check in every day for a few hours. I try to respond to a handful of people's posts each day to share experiences and insight. That has been a big help for me. Reading other people's experiences is the biggest help.

I thought that the only way that I would ever get 30 days would be through rehab. I didn't even know what a month would look like without drinking.

I am only one person and this is only my experience. Could have I benefited from rehab? Probably. I have to say though that the day to day of real life without drinking is what it is. It takes grit and determination. Use every resource you can.

While you wait for rehab, why not give sobriety a try? I know for me that 30 days physically removed from alcohol would have been helpful and it would have made it easier but rehab was not an option at that time for me either. I am on day 60 now so it's like I spent 30 days in rehab and 30 in the real world. While the second 30 days are easier in many ways, passing thoughts have started of "Can I really do this?" I will say again, I wish everyone could go to rehab who needs to, but I think we can make a lot of progress without it. Like someone said above, if you need a medical detox definitely do that. Like they say, quitting is the easy part. Staying quit is the hard part. If me, this hopeless, daily, can't-get-a-day-one, lazy, distracted, unmotivated drunk can stop drinking with the support from this site, I'll bet you can too!