Notices

Rehab

Old 08-28-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Rehab

I have been calling all night for treatment facilities in my area. $18,000 - $25,000 without insurance for 30 days. I am honestly lost, who has 25 grand? I have wanted this for so long, but a month at a facility would be the equivilant of me purchasing a vehicle. I dont really know what to do anymore. This is all I have for tonight, it's terrible (in my mind it is my last ditch effort). One day I might happen to get help, but not today, tonight or this year. Just a reminder that money does rule the world. End rant.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time. Treatment facilities can be awfully expensive. There are many of us who managed to drag ourselves out of that deep black hole without rehab. It is possible, but, in my mind, it's necessary that you have a lot of face-to-face support.

Do you attend AA meeting? Celebrate Recovery? Study AVRT's program? There are a lot of free services out there, but sometimes they may be hard to find.

I wasn't able to go into an inpatient rehab facility, but I did go through a medical detox and then moved into an IOP program. But, even with all those options, some people just never get it. The power to overcome this resides in YOU.

You can do this, Dominica!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Unless you fully require medical detox, there isn't much need for a "rehab"

I have been around a lot of AA meetings & most of the guys & girls reckon they are a waste of time & money. I can't remember one person actually saying "went to a rehab, sorted myself out never drank / used again" ... not one.

One guy tells a funny story about learning to paint, learning how to get in touch with his "inner child", learning how to make egg scramble, learning how to be assertive & then leaving the rehab & going to the nearest bar. He attended one that charged $40,000 for 90 days.

So, I hope that hasn't burst your bubble or left you without much "hope" but the good news is, there are plenty of ways to get sober / clean & not cost yourself a new car.

If your not keen on meetings of any kind, there are tons of books & loads of good websites which have free PDF downloads of their various bits of literature.

Good luck with your journey
Old 08-28-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Unless you fully require medical detox, there isn't much need for a "rehab"
I've known many here who've benefited enormously from rehab (detox is a different animal)

But I know, for me, it was out of the question on financial grounds.

Keep in mind tho, the Salvation Army is always an option if you feel you need that 'time out' Dom?

The Salvation Army Family Stores: Rehabilitation Program

D
Old 08-28-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Rehab can be of use for problem drinkers, habitual drinkers, those with alcohol dependence.

My experience leads me to believe, they are of little to no use for the real deal alcoholic.

Having said that, I've never been, but like I said ... I would have heard a 100 stories of people who ended up in AA, who share from the floor, that it never worked for them.

Some of them did 3,4, 5 rehabs.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dominica,

It also frustrates me that rehab is so expensive. I wish everyone who needed it was able to afford it. While you wait and figure it out, why not experiment with sobriety on your own? I was an every day, very heavy drinker who drank for a year after the doctor told me stop. I thought I was hopeless. I told myself that if I didn't or wouldn't or couldn't do it on my own the next step would be rehab. In the end I was at the point of having to drink to feel normal. The fun was gone and I was only using it to keep my equilibrium. I did not think I could do one single day.

My program has been coming to this site and relating to the stories of others who are here. I check in every day for a few hours. I try to respond to a handful of people's posts each day to share experiences and insight. That has been a big help for me. Reading other people's experiences is the biggest help.

I thought that the only way that I would ever get 30 days would be through rehab. I didn't even know what a month would look like without drinking.

I am only one person and this is only my experience. Could have I benefited from rehab? Probably. I have to say though that the day to day of real life without drinking is what it is. It takes grit and determination. Use every resource you can.

While you wait for rehab, why not give sobriety a try? I know for me that 30 days physically removed from alcohol would have been helpful and it would have made it easier but rehab was not an option at that time for me either. I am on day 60 now so it's like I spent 30 days in rehab and 30 in the real world. While the second 30 days are easier in many ways, passing thoughts have started of "Can I really do this?" I will say again, I wish everyone could go to rehab who needs to, but I think we can make a lot of progress without it. Like someone said above, if you need a medical detox definitely do that. Like they say, quitting is the easy part. Staying quit is the hard part. If me, this hopeless, daily, can't-get-a-day-one, lazy, distracted, unmotivated drunk can stop drinking with the support from this site, I'll bet you can too!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by whalebelow View Post
Rehab can be of use for problem drinkers, habitual drinkers, those with alcohol dependence.

My experience leads me to believe, they are of little to no use for the real deal alcoholic.

Having said that, I've never been, but like I said ... I would have heard a 100 stories of people who ended up in AA, who share from the floor, that it never worked for them.

Some of them did 3,4, 5 rehabs.
I could say I've read 10, 000 posts... maybe 100 thou LOL....but when you get down to it that would not really be any more universal that your 100 AA members...we'd both be simply puffing ourselves up

I do appreciate your point, and your experience - my experience is that not everyone takes the same path to recovery, and my point is not everyone here is an AA defined alcoholic, whalebelow

I think we should get back to addressing Dom now

D
Old 08-29-2014, 12:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Its a moot point anyways ... Dom can't afford a rehab, as 90% of us can't also.

tell us a bit of your story Dom, how many times have you made a "serious" effort to stop ?

drinking / using patterns.

If you have tried to stop, what leads you back to it ? Whats the last trains of thought that pass through just before you re-commence ?
Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Dominica, it really is tough, the cravings,my yearnings for drink, only to regret it all the next day, week or month or whenever you're at that point when you've had enough.

For me, getting through that point was mind blowing. My head thought booze every second. I know when I didn't want to stop drinking, absolutely nothing in the whole wide world would've stopped me.

When I stopped it was because I knew I had to or loose everything in my life I cherished. That was my turning point. That was when my hard work started. To ignore my very loud AV, to stop seeing alcohol in everything and above all, determined I didn't want yo drink again.

After all, this isn't a rehearsal, same as life, this is the real thing.

Grab it by the horns, Dominica, give it a go without rehab if it is causing financial problems.
Turn a page and start the story, you write it, you can put what you want, it can be how you want it. Take control.

Last edited by Mags1; 08-29-2014 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I've been to rehab twice. The first time, I was sober for 3 months. The second time, I relapsed while still in rehab. Rehab is not a magic cure. It's a fine way to get a solid start to sobriety but it doesn't fix you. In fact, rehab filled my head full of facts and self knowledge. I thought that armed with those and medication, I could beat alcoholism. Don't all the commercials promise that they will help me beat my addiction? Don't they say that they will cure me? Imagine my surprise when I found myself still a slave to alcohol.

Don't give up hope if rehab isn't an option. Just be willing to fully explore other options. I've gotten sober through AA. It took failing rehab for me to become desperate and willing enough to give AA a fair chance, I've been in and out of the program but now that I'm fully committed to the program, it is working wonders in my life. Perhaps it could help you as well.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Dominica!
Alcoholism is a kind of disease you can get rid of ONLY for free.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I could say I've read 10, 000 posts... maybe 100 thou LOL....but when you get down to it that would not really be any more universal that your 100 AA members...we'd both be simply puffing ourselves up

I do appreciate your point, and your experience - my experience is that not everyone takes the same path to recovery, and my point is not everyone here is an AA defined alcoholic, whalebelow

I think we should get back to addressing Dom now

D
My sister could not get sober for trying on her own she has battled alcoholism for over ten years she tried 2 different mini rehab centres in the UK but could not stop drinking

She finally accepted she could not do it alone and went for 6 months in 2012

When she came out she was a diffrent woman fast forward to today and she visits prisons for women on behalf of aa she is sponsoring young women who have lost their way

My sister is one of the reasons I got sober she took me meetings when my brain was fried and I was lost

In terms of did rehab work for my sister YES it did it helped transform her life

Whatever you decide i wish you luck keep posting stay well
Old 08-29-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dominica2 View Post

I have been calling all night for treatment facilities in my area. $18,000 - $25,000 without insurance for 30 days.
some are eligible for free or next to free treatment
probably depends on how much you make or don't make
I thought that Obama had these things covered ?

Salvation Army is always free
I know many who sobered up there and stayed sober
kind of an intense long Program
I would give them a call because they also know of other options

MM
Old 08-29-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Rehab saved my life. I was so far gone that I needed that intense, inpatient attention.

Many rehabs are covered under the ACA. Did you sign up? If not, are you eligible for medicaid?

I also do service commitments at area rehabs that are free, like the Salvation Army. Sure, the facilities are not up to the same level as at $30k rehab, but the staff is always well trained and professional. And the people there WANT to get sober. I've been to many of the "free" rehabs and regularly see someone from these programs in an AA meeting several months later who is still sober.