Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Brindie

Prospect of divorce settlement being heard in court - any experience?

Kind folks - I'd appreciate some advice on what to expect here from the court process. I guess it is very different depending on where you live, and I'm not looking for procedural stuff, more about the experience you had, the stressful bits, how you managed to get through it, and that kind of thing. After 6 months and as many thousands in legal fees trying to come to an agreed settlement, I am no further on. The family home is sold - he went ahead without consultation on the price or anything, looked as if he was in a rush to get a sale as the market price was well below the value put on it by the surveyor. We have signed an agreement that says the proceeds can't be accessed till we have agreed the rest. And here's the rub ... he hasn't made a full disclosure of his assets, and denies there is any more. I know there is, but don't have any paperwork. And then it turns out last week that he has bought a new home for 1/4m dollars, and is living there. He has moved a lot of the furniture out of our house (I went up last week and am locked out but could peek through a few windows). He swears blind through lawyers letters that he still there! Now he won't sign an agreement on the contents (obviously, he's already taken a pile of stuff!), and has written through his lawyer making threats about how he'll defend himself if this goes to court by defaming me. I know that to get a fair settlement I'll have no choice but to down this route, and I'm ready for it. I just wonder what the personal impact will be, reliving all the drama, chaos, the accusations, listening to his lies, and so on. We have no kids in the mix, fortunately. I have two rock solid witnesses who have volunteered to provide evidence of his abusive behaviour. Anyone any experience of that 'face me down' moment across a courtroom? Any advice appreciated, thanks you gentle folks.