Thread: Lonely
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
littlefish

I thought I was outgoing, social and comfortable with people. When I got sober, I saw, for the first time, it wasn't the case!

I would take an honest look at the feeling of rejection. Are people really rejecting you or is it a protective reaction? Its very hard to trust people, so I can understand that sometimes we might want to believe in the self-fulfilling prophecy of rejection.

My profile was not feeling rejected so much as feeling used. I was a victim, that was my profile as an alcoholic. I would go out of my way to make sure that I put myself in a position to be victimized, or, as it usually happened, feel that I was being victimized.

I would suggest trying to make friends in a way that will bypass rejection, or that feeling of rejection. Involving yourself in a club or organization is a great way to interact with people without the pressure of inviting them into your life. You can bypass the stress of trying to define someone as a friend: just work on the club projects together and the friendships will bloom or not bloom, independently of your efforts.