Thread: coming to terms
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by newstart85 View Post
funny thing is, I'm not really worried about this party on Thursday night. Sure it will be at a bar but I'll be fine drinking soda. More worried about a wedding I have to go to in a month or so. about 80% of the people are going to either be strangers, or people I don't like at all. I just know that open bar will be calling to me.

And unfortunately I can't just not go, that's not an option.
There is always going to be "something" on the horizon that will be calling your alcoholism. Weddings, birthday parties, family reunions, work gatherings, etc.

If you are truly serious about sobriety, you will make the necessary adjustments to either not attend, or have a backup plan in place. Specific to weddings, like Carl said you can attend the ceremony and skip the reception. People do it all the time, and not just because they are alcohlics.

The bottom line is that if you don't take sobriety seriously and make it your number #1 priority, you will not attain it. You will have to make some hard decisions and you won't like some of them. You will be uncomfortable at times, you will have to do things you don't want to do. You may have to change some of the people you spend time with, and also where you spend your time. The alternative though is much, much worse.