View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 10:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Minx1969

Welcome Rockerchicky! My recent ex A is a musician as well..First it was fun, hanging out, having fun..I loved his music, love him as well..we talked about marriage kids ..all that fun stuff. Started to realize that he was drinking every weekend and that he would choose drinking over spending time with me..We had an on again off again relationship..he would cut back on his drinking, stopped smoking pot, but started up again.

Long story short - he said he had a drinking problem (this was June 2004); I decided to go to Alanon In July, he broke up with me 2 months later. He went back into denial about the drinking and drugs ..now he is with another musician, still drinking (20 lbs heavier) and is in "love and talking about getting married" after dating her for 4 months..his disease is progressing..he's only 31..

I on the other hand am happier today then I have been in a long time..AlAnon has been wonderful for me..I have been in recovery for 8 months and will continue probably for the rest of my life..

There are no guarantees that he is going to get sober..My ex A promised me the sun and the moon but his actions did not match up..

I am grateful today that I am not with him because if I was - I would not be in a happy place..all the lies, the deception, chaos etc..

If he got and stayed sober that would be one thing..

So..I think what Sarah13 had to say is wise..it might be best to postpone the wedding until he gets some recovery.

Please consider going to AlAnon for your own sobriety..Just because he stops doing drugs and alcohol does make the problems go away.

Hugs,

minx