Thread: pity party
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
lillamy

A friend of mine who's a therapist says when you first start going to therapy, it's like you're opening the gates to the zoo, and you're terrified that ALL the animals are going to escape at once and cause mayhem and eat each other. A good therapist helps you open the gate just enough to let the animals out one by one, and in the "right" order.

It is scary. It took me a long time to get to the stuff that was hard-core. Three years I was in weekly therapy before I could say the words "my husband raped me."

Allow yourself to NOT solve all the problems today. Allow yourself to only deal with what's going on today. Right now. I know when you're a mover and shaker and doer, it's hard to not plan and organize and have the next ten years figured out. It just is.

"Trust the process," my attorney used to say to me when I was freaking out about the divorce and custody stuff. I think the same thing is true with therapy and recovery work. Trust the process. Trust that you will be OK. Trust that where you are right now is OK, too. (((hugs)))