View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
IfGodWillsIt

It's been a long while since I've posted anything on here. So, I thought I should come back and share a bit of my journey in the spirit of giving back and contributing to the community - since the only way I could get through my horrible withdrawals was to flip through and read about so many success stories that have been shared on this wonderful forum. But, before I begin, I'd like to say that you are all my heroes and all your stories helped me to get to where I'm at today, in my recovery.

Today is my 362nd day of being sober. How's my life? Well, I feel healthy and that's really all that matters to me. As long as I have my health, I feel like the luckiest person alive . Yea, I can't lie, some days might get really boring living without drugs, but hey I figure that's how life gets sometimes - just gotta make an effort to entertain yourself in healthy ways, or just tough out the boredom and wait until something exciting comes up.

These days, I feel more confident than ever. I used to hate being around people and I would much rather have been getting high all by myself. But these days, I find myself really enjoying the presence of others - ultimately, I feel more human. I remember the weed hangovers, and generally just feeling like a zombie. I used to live on autopilot, dreading the task of going on throughout the days as fast as I could, mentally planning and waiting for my next high.

Now I feel more in control over my life and decision making. I also feel more in control of my conversations with others. Whereas before I used to be passive and reactive, especially when it came to communicating with others, now I feel active and proactive. I can't express how much my life has improved without drugs running through my brain - both literally and figuratively.

The things that really helped me get through my worst withdrawals involved staying physically active. I would try to get outside the house as much as I could. During the first 4-6 months I didn't want to see or talk to anyone, so I mostly partook in lonely activities; like going to the batting cages and teeing off at my local golf range. Some days, I would feel like complete and utter crap, and didn't feel like making an effort to drive anyplace so I would force myself out of the house and just walked around the neighborhood; I swear just walking outside and taking in all the fresh air helps boost your mood a little bit when you're depressed.

I've always wanted to learn how to play the guitar, and so when the time came to where I dedicated my life to being sober I bought myself a guitar. Now after a year, I can play and sing to my hearts content. Picking up an instrument, especially if you're into music, is a great way to fight boredom.

Just stay occupied. That's the best advice I can give anyone who's going through this sobering journey. And PLEASE PLEASE, don't give up! Life gets better

Love,

IfGodWillsIt