Notices

Marijuana/Adderall/Tobacco/Caffeine

Old 09-14-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Marijuana/Adderall/Tobacco/Caffeine

Hello,

Sorry if it sounds like my thoughts are scattered all over the place, but here I go. I'm a recovering pothead. Been smoking high grade pot daily for about 5 years, since I was introduced to the drug at the age of 19. I remember the first time I got high and the moments right before taking my first drag out of a rolled dutch, I told myself I would ONLY try it once. Well, after my first time getting high I was instantly hooked to pot. At the time, I was mildly depressed because of a failed relationship and also due to losing my academic scholarship after my first year at university. So, that night when I first got high, I had finally felt happy after a long time of being down.

Along the way I became hooked to nicotine for about 2 years, but it's been about a year since I quit that. I've been addicted to caffeine since I started college. Also, I've tried shrooms but didn't liked it, because I had a pretty bad trip the first time. I remember the horrible feeling of being trapped in my own head. Not being able to talk or think properly for the duration of the trip. It probably didn't help that I partook in smoking two blunts of weed at the same time but I was stupid and felt invincible at the time.

I struggled throughout college, working full-time as a manager at a cell phone shop to pay for tuition, while going to school part-time. In my last year at university, I started taking Adderall, without a prescription, to study for exams. I was always cautious with it, as I never exceeded 7.5mgs in one day. My average intake was about 3.5mgs, and I only took it to study and take exams. However, about 2 months ago I started misusing the drug and started developing a dependence, as I would take it to feel good in social settings. I also used to mix Adderall and weed, along with caffeine sometimes

I graduated about a month ago and I've vowed to never use drugs again. I feel like I've wasted so much time, energy, and money on these stupid drugs. I feel like a complete loser right now as I'm actually reading what I've written. Growing up, I never saw myself as a drug addict. It's been 33 days since I last took Adderall, 20 days since my last joint, and 17 days since my last energy drink. My anxiety and depression are through the roof right now. Insomnia is kicking my butt. But I pray and meditate a lot, that seems to get me through. I know it's going to be a tough road to recovery, but I know I can do this. I'm ready to live drug free!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congratulations to you, thanks for the honest post and welcome to SR.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for a honest post.

I am sure you life will be happier long term if you stop this.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That was the point where I realized everything needed to change for me too, once I graduated. I was taking adderrall towards the end too, but my problem was mainly with alcohol. Once I started realizing a week after I graduated that I was still doing stupid stuff, I stopped everything. It's 3 months today since I stopped and I feel great. My mind is clear and I am focused on pursuing my goals!!
Old 09-15-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You sound determined to beat this and a good attitude is a big help. I'm glad you found us and joined the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its day 31 for me since my last joint. My anxiety issues have gotten a lot better, but the problem i face now is that im pretty irritable. Im also on the verge of relapsing because im so bored all the time. I really need some encouragement right about now...
Old 09-25-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Contrats with the 31 days.

Stay strong, get this under control now.

I have no experience with pot, I have been battling alcohol most of my life. It is hard to stop, but you do not want to become 50 and think back that you have been battling this all you life, it is not worth it.

You will be a lot happier if you stay strong through this hard period and get this out of the world.

You have all my support and respect for doing this.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome IfGodWillsIt

I know this sounds stupid - but if you're bored find something to do
I smoked pot for 30 years.

I was bored too when I quit - I realised I did very little...I relied on the smoke and the drink to make my nothing life interesting.

I had to change my life - start doing things, get involved in stuff, find meaning and purpose.

Volunteering in my community was great for me in that respect...resurrecting old hobbies and interests or finding news ones was good too

it helped with the irritation too

If you go back to smoking I think you're saying you're ok with doing nothing with your life - and we both know thats BS

keep moving forward

D
Old 09-25-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there. It will get better. Have you read about PAWS? Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What...Me Sober? It takes a while for the brain to fully recover after we quit using.

As to the boredom, one thing that has helped me is making a list of things to get done each day. When I was smoking weed, that was practically all I did and it made nothing feel like the most exciting thing ever. But, there's lots of other things in life I was missing out on because of it, so now I look at this as an opportunity to do the things I always wanted to. Are there any activities you've wanted to pick up? Playing a musical instrument? Some sort of art or sport? Skydiving? Try to brainstorm some things you'd like to do with your life.

Exercise helps a lot with feeling irritable and other tough feelings that come with quitting stuff. Biking, jogging, walking or any other activity you enjoy can really make a difference. Plus, it helps with the boredom, too.

And way to go on all the stuff you've quit. Don't forget to remind yourself that you're doing a fantastic job!!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, i just waited out the intense cravings. It helps that i stopped talking with my using buddies, because if one of them would've called, i dont know what i'd have done. I totally forgot about PAWS! Thanks for the reminder, i really needed it! You guys are a big help
Old 10-01-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 37. Thank God I've made it this far. My anxiety has gone down a lot. Im not anxious during the day anymore, like i used to be. But, insomnia is kicking my ass. I sleep for a few hours and wake up feeling anxious, like im trapped by life, but i dont let it phase me and i just wait it out until i fall back asleep. This sleep pattern, only being able to sleep in spurts of 3-4 hours, is really weighing me down during my day.

I run about a mile every night because i read that exercise helps against insomnia. At this point, it feels like i'll never be able to sleep normally ever again. Do i need to wait a little more until my sleep goes back to normal? Do i need to exercise more? If you have experience with insomnia please share your story. Im trying to get through this without taking any sleep aids, like melatonin, benadryl, etc. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IfGodWillsIt View Post
Day 37. Thank God I've made it this far. My anxiety has gone down a lot. Im not anxious during the day anymore, like i used to be. But, insomnia is kicking my ass. I sleep for a few hours and wake up feeling anxious, like im trapped by life, but i dont let it phase me and i just wait it out until i fall back asleep. This sleep pattern, only being able to sleep in spurts of 3-4 hours, is really weighing me down during my day.

I run about a mile every night because i read that exercise helps against insomnia. At this point, it feels like i'll never be able to sleep normally ever again. Do i need to wait a little more until my sleep goes back to normal? Do i need to exercise more? If you have experience with insomnia please share your story. Im trying to get through this without taking any sleep aids, like melatonin, benadryl, etc. Thanks in advance!
Hello. Congrats on your time. You are making it through this and it is awesome to see. I think your body will eventually fall into a deep sleep. I did have insomnia once last year for 1 month. It was horrible.
Melatonin is a hormone that is naturally produced by the body. So, do you have an aversion with talking to your local product consultant in a health food store?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Not angry just direct

Originally Posted by IfGodWillsIt View Post

Hey man,

I was toking heavily for 23yrs and also had insomnia for about 18yrs due to sleep paralysis and anxiety. It took me about 8 weeks to fully settle down and get proper sleep again after I quit toking and something I found extremely useful was Valerian root (natural), which doesn't make me feel groggy the next day like the chemical aids.

The thing that's important to remember about the chemicals in cannabis is that they're still present in the body up to 3 months after stopping using and that's relative to its quality and the amount used, so 5 weeks is still in the red zone for most people who were heavy users and attempt sleep unaided or use chemical sleep aids.

Your body needs time to readjust to sleeping without a major depressant in it so give it some more time, and also if you can try not to focus on this too much as that'll add to the cycle of anxiety which will keep you awake, which will mean you're tired, which = more anxiety and so on.

Running at night is a pretty risky idea because the body's metabolism will continue to be high for about 8hrs after aerobics, so either do it in the morning or cut it out for now. Running in the AM is always the best option as by the time the body's metabolism is slowing down 8hrs later you'll be coming home from work and be thinking about food and sleep.

Basically, although your body may feel tired because its depleted, your inner system will still be awake and burning calories. That's why aerobics are the best way to sustain a low body weight.

One final thing, if you can get to a sauna midday (not evening) that'll really help. Just keep yourself hydrated as dehydration can also affect natural sleep.

I'm rooting for ya. I know what you're going through and there are ways to deal with it. It took me a very long time and lots of reading to figure out how to get back to sleep with or without weed!!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Hello. Congrats on your time. You are making it through this and it is awesome to see. I think your body will eventually fall into a deep sleep. I did have insomnia once last year for 1 month. It was horrible.
Melatonin is a hormone that is naturally produced by the body. So, do you have an aversion with talking to your local product consultant in a health food store?
I dont like to take melatonin because everytime i do, i end up feeling sluggish the next morning. I have a job that requires me to be active and on my feet all day, so feeling sluggish wont be good for my performance. But mostly i want my mind to readjust to sober sleep purely on its own. I feel like ive been manipulating the chemicals in my brain for too long. I just want to let it be
Old 10-02-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'll echo Regretter's advice above about working out in the morning, not in the evening. The stimulation from a night run can stay with you for a while and interfere with sleep. Someone mentioned Valerian root which I use for sleep purposes and it's great! Like you, melatonin makes me groggy the next day, but I have no issues like that with Valerian. Your mileage will vary, of course. Other things to consider: a hot shower before bed, don't read or watch TV in bed - just go there to sleep (keeping it G-rated here guys), cut down on caffeine (I try not to drink any coffee or sodas after 12pm). And, yes, lots of exercise if you can. I find running to be a great benefit for all my addictive problems.
All of this helps me...
Old 10-02-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Regretter View Post
Hey man,

I was toking heavily for 23yrs and also had insomnia for about 18yrs due to sleep paralysis and anxiety. It took me about 8 weeks to fully settle down and get proper sleep again after I quit toking and something I found extremely useful was Valerian root (natural), which doesn't make me feel groggy the next day like the chemical aids.

The thing that's important to remember about the chemicals in cannabis is that they're still present in the body up to 3 months after stopping using and that's relative to its quality and the amount used, so 5 weeks is still in the red zone for most people who were heavy users and attempt sleep unaided or use chemical sleep aids.

or about 8hrs after aerobics, so either do it in the morning or cut it out for now. Running in the AM is always the best option as by the time the body's metabolism is slowing down 8hrs later you'll be coming home from work and be thinking about food and sleep.
Thanks for the great advice man. I didnt know about the 8 hour thing. I was jogging at sunset, about 3 hours before bedtime. I switched it up to 6 hours before, thats the earliest i can workout because i start my day at 6am.

The anxiety really sucks the life outta me. Ive never before experienced the type of anxiety that im having these days. Ill be happy almost all day and then ill start feeling sad. I start worrying about my future, my loved ones, and my health. I read an article that explained cannabis withdrawal causes a type of anxiety that cant be quelled by merely thinking happy thoughts. My anxiety definitely feels that way.

Anyways, those bursts of anxiety are slowly becoming less frequent day by day. That gives me a little hope that itll just go away one of these days. Thanks for reminding me about the 3 months. Im just going to have to wait this out.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I need to try the hot shower before bed. And i gotta stop reading in bed, didnt know about that one. Thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Not angry just direct

I have faith in you, IGWI. You seem focused on beating this thing and it really helps to be in that frame of mind.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You might check out the insomnia section here. Insomnia/Nightmares - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-insomnia.html