View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Anthon

Trying to find a sponsor ?

I attend alanon meetings Mon, Weds, Thurs, Sun and ACA meetings on Tuesday . These meetings are run by different groups. I was advised that I need to find a home group. That I need to find a sponsor and work the steps. I live in fort Lauderdale and I am gay but feel uncomfortable in the gay meetings because to me it's show and tell and not about recovery there. I personally feel more comfortable in a mixed blend group because that is how the world I live in is. I live and breathe gay gay gay like some do. I suppose I've outgrown that phase in my life. It's find for others to grow through that phase on their own terms but I don't have to I feel I can evolve from that.
I go to several meetings because I don't like limiting myself to one point of view do finding a home group is not easy. I have been chairing the Monday and Wednesday groups but not Thursday Tuesday or sunday. Chairing is pretty easy in my opinion - the people really run their meeting , I'm just there to keep it organized like a figure head. To me it's easy. All meetings I chair do not mention sponsorship but Thursday group does. I am gay man and the Thursday meetings seem to be all women ( possibly a girls( lesbian)
club unofficially)... They won't let anyone chair a meeting unless they have a sponsor and are past their 6 step... Which doesn't bother me / but is soberhibg they added recently. Truthfully not a big deal I chair enough meetings. I am thinking of getting a sponsor at the thursday meeting.

I dont feel comfortable at an all girls club meeting setting but they are the only ones that speak about sponsorship.

I think that because I am a gay man I should get a woman sponsor but the rules are to get the same sex ???

What are your thoughts ?