View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Redmayne
Redmayne

I must admit...

I must admit, after attending various A A meetings intermittently from 1984 over a period of 30 years I stopped attending them...

Mainly because it became apparent that many of those present problems were little to do with alcohol or alcoholism and more to do with their own lifestyle and state of mind...

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, it often happened that if they didn't say the A A Preamble at the start of the meeting, given how it then progressed,often talking about everything but alcoholism. You wouldn't have even known you were at an A A meeting!

Thirdly, adding my first two reasons together, it felt like the classic case that the 'lunatics were running the asylum'....a view shared by many others who eventually, like me gave up going to meetings.

I got into recovery and subsequently prolonged sobriety, by learning and fully understanding the primary content of the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous', helped in doing that by listening to 'Charlie and Joe's 12 Step CD's' now I believe commercially available and acting on all they and the Big Book taught.

You don't get sober sitting at A A meetings, no one does!