Old 08-14-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Jenibean87

Hey lonelylostgirl, I'm sorry to hear about the relapse.

In my experience, I hid my As addiction from my friends and family and found myself profoundly alienated, lonely, and feeling desperate and sorry for myself. But when I opened up, finally and talked to my mom and friends about what was really going on I found that I finally got what I needed for ME: support.

Nevermind what anyone thinks of him. People will form opinions. Your loved ones might suspect already, or be relieved that there is an explanation for his bad behavior. But that is a non-issue. Telling them is for YOU. No need to protect him!

In my experience, the thing that helps me most in dealing with life with an A is having people around me who listen, advise, hope, and love. In addition to your friends and family. al-Anon will provide a whole room full of people who will listen and share your experience.

I know it's awful and scary and confusing in early recovery, and that relapses are awful for everyone. Do yourself a favor and get your feelings and fears out instead of keeping them inside.