Thread: Ugh.
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Nuudawn

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
But a week or month from now likely not.
I think you have to take that thinking right out of the equation. Do not let the future defeat you. Staying sober today is an ENORMOUS win. Get out of your past...get out of your future and get through today sober..by whatever means possible. I put 4 months of sobriety together last year by taking life moment by moment and situation by situation. Whenever I started to fret bout how I was going to deal with something ahead of time..and if I started to feel "anxiety" I knew I had to get the hell out of the future and get right back into my own self in that moment. I let that sobriety get away from me for other reasons (which I am not fighting to address in this sobriety)...but by living each day situation by arriving situation I actually started to enjoy the big overripe fruits of sobriety. When I lost my sobriety and slowly started to wither back into drunkeness..it was THAT sobriety I wanted BACK. In sobriety I started to learn what I liked and didn't like. What I could handle and what I couldn't. I started to figure stuff out. I learned and I grew and I got bigger...my life got bigger..slowly and incremently.

I would have had over a year of sobriety had I stayed on path..and yes, sometimes I get upset bout that..but whatever..I didn't. I did not lose what I gained in that sobriety..which was essentially the realization..after going back to the bottle..that sobriety was better.

It wasn't easier..it was BETTER.

Change is hard work. Quitting isn't easy. There is no easy way really. We have to do the work. We need to have a plan with respect to the realization that we are going to want to drink sometimes. What do we do instead? What are you doing for sobriety? What are you changing? What are you allowing for? Are you participating in some sort of recovery group? Are you reading books on recovery? Are you seeking out other sober people and situations? Are you hanging out here even when you don't know what to do with yourself.

What are you doing to get sober? You need to mount a defense system my friend. Addiction is a formidable foe. Do not underestimate it strength and power and trickery. It is not just a matter of "I quit" and trying to live and think the exact same way.