View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Climber122

Welcome! Sounds like what you are attempting is to control your drinking - both these weekend events you plan to attend you expect to be tempted at and to fight through using willpower. You may or may not be an alcoholic even though you have a long period of habitual drinking - heavy drinking doesn't necessarily mean you're an addict. But if you are, you will likely find staying off alcohol/controlling your drinking very difficult if not impossible even when you want to. The reason most programs of recovery begin with an admission of powerlessness over alcohol is that most of us tried what you are trying for a long, long time and kept going back to the bottle. Some of us can stay stopped for a few hours, a few days, or a few months, but we usually go back to drinking until we work a program of recovery.

So give it a go and see how it is. Don't drink this weekend and see how you feel on Monday. Try to observe how hard it is not to drink, and make note of how you feel and what's going through your head. As an alcoholic myself, when I was actively drinking and was abstaining for the evening for whatever reason I was often bored, irritable, preoccupied with what others were drinking and planning out when my next drink would be. See what other kinds of thoughts run through your head as you try out abstinence this weekend, because our thoughts really work against us when we are alcoholics, and our mind becomes the place where the battle plays out more often than not.

All the best