View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Buggirl

Originally Posted by SandyLovesFall View Post
Hi Everybody, I joined this forum, because as of last Sunday, I have decided to give up alcohol for good. I am a weekend warrior and beer is my drink. Starting Friday night after work and through Sunday evening, I usually have a beer in my hand. I have been drinking on the weekends ever since I was 13 years old (I'm now 51). I have taken many breaks from drinking over the years, but in March 2013, I drank too much while camping and fell in the fire pit and got 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my hand and chin. I'm fortunate; it could have been so much worse. It has taken me a while, but I have finally decided that even though I only drink on the weekends, I still drink too much. I want to live a 100% sober life 100% of the time now.

I have stayed alcohol free since last Sunday. I went out to Mexican food dinner with my son and his girlfriend Tuesday and they each had a beer with their meal, but I didn't. I wasn't even tempted because it was a Tuesday night and I don't drink during the week. However, it is 8:30 a.m. here in California and since this is Friday, I would normally be looking forward to tonight after work when I get home and hang out with my husband and neighbors and have a few beers. That's always how my weekends start. Tomorrow we are going to a family reunion bbq (not my family and really boring) and then we are going to a beach party in the evening. I will want to drink beer at both events and normally would have. Then Sunday I will stay home and clean the house and do laundry. I love to drink beer while I do housework....it puts me in a good mood and gives me energy.

Sometimes I get quick thoughts that run through my mind like "you can have a couple of beers tonight, it won't hurt you and it will probably help you to relieve stress," or "you don't have a drinking problem," or "you can't function without beer on the weekend," etc. I know I have to stay strong and just keep reminding myself that I want to be truly healthy, happy, and live a long life and I cannot have any of that by drinking...even if it is just on the weekend. In fact, I just read a study that drinking like I do on the weekend is harder on the body than daily drinking. My rational mind knows this......my beer brain doesn't care. I want my rational mind to win.

Thanks for letting me ramble.
It's Friday evening here in the UK and I am struggling! Stay strong, we can do this! I would love a beer!