Old 08-07-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

I really relate to your post. I also consider myself a positive person. I also would wake up every morning and say "enough! That is it, I will never drink again, never ever ever ever!" and then by sunset I was right back at it.
I also went through a period of heavy drinking where I said "oh, well I don't drink during the day or in the morning" or "I never get the shakes" "I never miss any of my obligations- work, family or otherwise"
Then, all of the sudden, things started slipping really fast. The change occurred slowly, but once it was in motion I was going down hill fast. I started drinking in the afternoon, then at lunchtime, then, ah what the hell, I've got to get cigarettes, I'll just have a quick glass of wine... at 10am. Then I woke up so hungover that the only thing that I thought might help would be more alcohol, so I had a quick nip at 8am.
The shakes appeared. I started messing up my work big time. I work from home and stuff really started to get messy. How could it not, I was drunk form morning to night. I had that sonogram of my liver that I had been putting off, yep, the start of liver damage.
I'm 9 days sober now. The longest I've been in I couldn't tell you how long. But this time it is no joke, I'm not going back.
There is no avoiding the first days and the withdrawl. No avoiding it. Picking another day won't let you skip it. Waiting until you have time off work to rest won't let you skip it. Cutting down and tapering won't let you skip it. You just have to stop. Today. Don't go for that vodka. Don't do it or you'll just have to do your first day all over again.
No doubt, the first days suck. But once you've done'em, you've done'em and you can get on with your sober life feeling a whole lot better- physically, mentally and emotionally.

Be strong, stay sober.