View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Wastinglife

Hi Maggie, I think many of us can relate to you here. I also went through a slow progression with my drinking. In my college days and early 20's, I was your typical weekend binge drinker. Everyone I knew was and I thought it was completely normal.

However, I started to notice that when I was drinking with friends, I was drinking more and much quicker. I would be starting on my 4th drink by the time they started their 2nd and by the end of the night I was usually the only one absolutely wasted.

I kinda relished in the party animal reputation at that age, but things began to change. People in my social circle began to chill out a bit and settle down to focus on marriage/careers. I then began drinking at home after work everyday thinking it was normal cuz my parents did it for years.

Next thing I knew, I was drinking a fifth a vodka every day and going through withdrawal each morning at work. It was only after a DUI that other people close me suggested I had a problem. At that point I finally accepted to myself I had a problem.

I drank another 5 years before I did anything about my addiction unfortunately and I pretty much lost everything in life. I hope you address your drinking issues now while you still have things to save.