Thread: Finally Ready
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SoberComposer

Red face Finally Ready

Hello Everyone,

I have visited this site many times over the years when trying to quit drinking but I feel I am ready and wanted to join for support. My last drink was 3 days ago (Thursday) and it was a bender. I thought of naming myself unSoberComposer but I felt that may be a trigger in the future so decided on looking toward the future, as advice that I have read here, and decided on SoberComposer .

I am 36 now and began drinking promptly at 21. Through most of my twenties I would drink a pint, most nights, and since around 30 have acknowledged that I do have a problem. I have always been function and even put myself through school but always drank heavily after responsibilities were met, I guess it made me feel normal. I lost a relationship from this, over two years ago, but that was for the best (not the drinking causing it but the trust was not there).

It wasn't until I went to AA for the first time and decided to quit, lasted 30 days, that I knew something different from drinking/recovering from drinking during the day/drinking/repeat. I have quit for short periods of time but then started with a month, each time. It was these sober-reference-points that made it clear to me that I am ready to be happy and have a life.

I found a good group in AA once but they are no longer meeting and the other ones I went to didn't have anyone near my age nor much in common. I may continue to look but have successfully quit for nearly a month by myself and keeping a diary, which helped amazingly. I started the journal about a month before I quit and made a point to document the bad experiences and then the good ones that were night in day in terms of drinking=hell/sobriety=happiness.

I guess I will stop short of writing an article on myself but wanted to fill in a little about myself.

It's good to be here!!