Notices

Finally Ready

Old 08-03-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Finally Ready

Hello Everyone,

I have visited this site many times over the years when trying to quit drinking but I feel I am ready and wanted to join for support. My last drink was 3 days ago (Thursday) and it was a bender. I thought of naming myself unSoberComposer but I felt that may be a trigger in the future so decided on looking toward the future, as advice that I have read here, and decided on SoberComposer .

I am 36 now and began drinking promptly at 21. Through most of my twenties I would drink a pint, most nights, and since around 30 have acknowledged that I do have a problem. I have always been function and even put myself through school but always drank heavily after responsibilities were met, I guess it made me feel normal. I lost a relationship from this, over two years ago, but that was for the best (not the drinking causing it but the trust was not there).

It wasn't until I went to AA for the first time and decided to quit, lasted 30 days, that I knew something different from drinking/recovering from drinking during the day/drinking/repeat. I have quit for short periods of time but then started with a month, each time. It was these sober-reference-points that made it clear to me that I am ready to be happy and have a life.

I found a good group in AA once but they are no longer meeting and the other ones I went to didn't have anyone near my age nor much in common. I may continue to look but have successfully quit for nearly a month by myself and keeping a diary, which helped amazingly. I started the journal about a month before I quit and made a point to document the bad experiences and then the good ones that were night in day in terms of drinking=hell/sobriety=happiness.

I guess I will stop short of writing an article on myself but wanted to fill in a little about myself.

It's good to be here!!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I stopped Thursday too! Mine was also a big night and with work the next day! I have never been to AA as I have read it's very religious and I identify as a Pagan, so it wouldn't really be my thing I don't think, but I do acknowledge the amazing work they do. I hope we can help each other?
Old 08-03-2014, 12:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome (back) to the gang SoberComposer

D
Old 08-03-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations Buggirl! I actually called off work on Friday because I was wanting to spend the day working on a project from home... i should have known.. instead I suffered a massive hangover and guilt. Just so tired of this!

I liked AA, when I had a good group, but I am also not religious so that was also always a problem. Someone once said to take the benefit's and leave behind what you don't like. I have come to a point though that I don't care. I have not made plans to find a good AA group yet but I can promise I will if I need to, which I probably will. Honestly, I am hoping that I can use this site instead of the meetings. That may be naive but I will most definitely do what I need to do to have a happy and fulfilling life.

Great to hear from you and I hope we can support each other with this problem of ours too. Thankfully everyone here seems to be amazingly supportive. Personally, I plan to do frequent updates/replies-to-others every week because I have to be accountable and quit.

Take Care Buggirl!! Stay strong, we deserve to be happy!!!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Im 13 days sober. I had a home detox, I went to AA first time this week, not sure if its for me, i may trya another meeting as the members are alot older than me 1m 36. Try other options like Smart or Arch. Good luck & well done. Im going the pictures to watch Dawn of the planet of apes, sure beats drinking, if I had a hangover i would never do that, i would just go and get more booze nowI feel fresh & im beginning to feel human again, & that lifes worth living.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dee74: Ohhmy, I wasn't sure if I had ever signed in before. I'm not surprised though... much nights/movies/posts have been fuzzy. Thanks for the welcome back!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know if you've been here as a member before SC - but I thought welcome back covers all bases

D
Old 08-03-2014, 12:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Corky123: That was my problem too. Everyone was much older and the young people were crazy. I will go back if I need to though. Thanks for the other sober-support program options. I will look into them. It's funny, I was bored and thinking about drinking earlier so went to Guardians of the Galaxy by myself. It was crowded and I had to sit next to a nice family. It was nice, after awhile, it was just good to not be alone and around happiness . I am def looking forward to that day 13 feeling!! Not quiet human yet but know I just have to fare the rapids for awhile.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dee74: Haha i gotcha. Well it was nice to hear the welcome either way!! Well, i'm off to sleep. Have a great night everyone!! Very glad I joined tonight
Old 08-03-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, SoberComposer!

I believe that self awareness is a critical part of staying sober, and that maintaining awareness is one of the habits of long term sober people. AA is part of my routine, as are daily readings and volunteering at the local detox ward. Find what works for you and make it a part of your daily routine; the hours become days, days become weeks, and at some point along the way, you will realize you no longer crave or even want alcohol in your life.

Good Luck!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back SoberComposer!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

you can do it, just fill your time with as much things as possible, im off to a meeting with arch in a bit, then they give me free acupuncture, then i will go & have sunbed i know its bad for you but its my treat & im not spending money on wine, you'll do it the positives are a million times better without drink
Old 08-04-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, it's so good to be here and have this support!

Corky123: I think I may have found a good meeting that meets on Thursdays so looking forward to seeing how it goes. That's some good advice and rewarding ourselves with things we really enjoy, other than alky. When I drank.. I really only drank.. pretty sad but glad to know I wasn't alone.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.