View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mambamama

AA, eating, a book....

Not to make a multi-topic post, but better than five separate ones I guess. A couple questions, does anyone have thoughts on any of them?

1) I'm 20 days in! Feel AMAZING. Better than I have in years. Tomorrow will be three weeks since my last drink. I don't want to get complacent but I see no real reason to go back at this point. I definitely had the signs of early-stage alcoholism so I'm glad i stopped before it progressed.

2) I've been going to AA meetings some. The first week and a half they were great to fill the time when I had huge cravings. NOw, I like to hear other people's experiences as I reflect on my own, and have gotten insight each time. Also, there are other non-drinkers there which maybe will lead my life in other non-drinking directions?? The question is this: I haven't started "working the steps". I still don't introduce myself as an alcoholic, because I don't want to, but I'm not drinking and don't have desire to drink. Isn't that the point? That I not drink? People are so into working the steps and I'm so glad it works for them, but if just not drinking and going to occasional meetings (once a week or so) helps me stay sober, then... am I missing something?

3) I've been eating like a crazy person. I've been so hungry. Is this normal? Does my body just want all the calories I used to consume in alcohol? I"m a pretty small person and I exercise a lot, and I really don't care either way, but I"ve lost a couple pounds in the last three weeks... but I'm just curious if anyone else has had this experience.

4) I'm reading a very powerful book called "Drinking: A Love Story". It's by Carolyn Knapp and it's her story of drinking and secrets and how it affects your thinking and choices and presence in the world. I identify so much with everything she says. Highly recommend.

THat's all I got for this morning's musings. It's a beautiful day here. Happy sobriety everyone.Woke up earlier this morning than I have in a long, long time-- feeling great!