Notices

AA, eating, a book....

Old 07-31-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA, eating, a book....

Not to make a multi-topic post, but better than five separate ones I guess. A couple questions, does anyone have thoughts on any of them?

1) I'm 20 days in! Feel AMAZING. Better than I have in years. Tomorrow will be three weeks since my last drink. I don't want to get complacent but I see no real reason to go back at this point. I definitely had the signs of early-stage alcoholism so I'm glad i stopped before it progressed.

2) I've been going to AA meetings some. The first week and a half they were great to fill the time when I had huge cravings. NOw, I like to hear other people's experiences as I reflect on my own, and have gotten insight each time. Also, there are other non-drinkers there which maybe will lead my life in other non-drinking directions?? The question is this: I haven't started "working the steps". I still don't introduce myself as an alcoholic, because I don't want to, but I'm not drinking and don't have desire to drink. Isn't that the point? That I not drink? People are so into working the steps and I'm so glad it works for them, but if just not drinking and going to occasional meetings (once a week or so) helps me stay sober, then... am I missing something?

3) I've been eating like a crazy person. I've been so hungry. Is this normal? Does my body just want all the calories I used to consume in alcohol? I"m a pretty small person and I exercise a lot, and I really don't care either way, but I"ve lost a couple pounds in the last three weeks... but I'm just curious if anyone else has had this experience.

4) I'm reading a very powerful book called "Drinking: A Love Story". It's by Carolyn Knapp and it's her story of drinking and secrets and how it affects your thinking and choices and presence in the world. I identify so much with everything she says. Highly recommend.

THat's all I got for this morning's musings. It's a beautiful day here. Happy sobriety everyone.Woke up earlier this morning than I have in a long, long time-- feeling great!
Old 07-31-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just read "Drinking: A Love Story" by Carolyn Knapp. It's an amazing book, she's such an incredible writer. Very passionate. Unfortunately she passed away a few years ago, but her book basically changed my perspective on my drinking, and I'm forever grateful to her for that.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well done on 20 days Mambabamamba,
1) That awesome feeling may go away. You may have periods of wtf, why is this happening. Just get through it it. Early sobriety has its ups and downs. It may take a few months before your emotional roller coaster pulls into the stop.
2)Asking about AA will most likely turn this thread into another debate. Just do what you feel comfortable with. Continue to go and learn until you feel it is detrimental to YOUR recovery. Maybe look into alternative 'programs' of recovery.
3) I ate like a knucklehead when I first got sober. Lots of junk - chocolate,chocolate, chocolate - and quick fix food products. It is normal for most to start eating - carb replacement or just the need to eat/put something in your gut. It will subside. The point is that you recognize it and YOU must be conscious of it. Do not fall into eating to enjoy life. Start trying to control it. Make note of what you eat and try to keep track of calories. Get yourself some healthy snacks. RAW VEGGIES are wonderful. And nuts, fruits, etc. Trail mix is good to snack on. Lots of carbs plus not too bad for you.
Try a lite ranch dressing to dip broccoli and carrot or celery sticks. I don't use dips at all. And start eating salads. The BIG salad like on Seinfeld.
4) Reading is a wonderful way to get you through these times - and always. There are countless titles and genres related to sobriety and spiritual living, healthy lifestyles etc.
There is a section on the forums with recommended reading.

Good luck. You are very aware of yourself which is important. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was also very hungry in early recovery and gained weight. But, I had lost about 10 pounds due to lack of appetite when drinking, so I was glad to regain the weight.

I don't use AA so didn't do the steps and I don't think you're missing anything. Whatever works for you, works for you. I found non-drinking people and new friends in a volunteer work situation that I began in early recovery. It was an amazing opportunity to meet caring people.

Caroline Knapp's book is my absolute favorite recovery book. When I read it, I knew that if she could do it, I could do it and that was the first time I had felt that way.

Check out our Reading List if you're interested in more great books:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html
Old 07-31-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Make note of what you eat and try to keep track of calories. Get yourself some healthy snacks. RAW VEGGIES are wonderful. And nuts, fruits, etc. Trail mix is good to snack on. Lots of carbs plus not too bad for you.
Try a lite ranch dressing to dip broccoli and carrot or celery sticks. I don't use dips at all. And start eating salads. The BIG salad like on Seinfeld.
Aw, thanks. Actually, I have a very healthy diet, lotsa big salads daily even when I was drinking. I'm also a gluten-free vegetarian so lots of whole foods. I even drank gluten-free beer I think I was blocking out all those good vitamins with alcohol though. My one weakness (besides alcohol!) has always been sweets, especially ice cream, and it makes me laugh how much I've eaten in the last week or so. It's really only a bowl or so a day, but it feels like a lot for me It's probably only about one container a week, maybe less. But still... I had food issues in my 20s so I don't want to go back to that obsessive world of tracking calories. I used to track every bite. I realize that doing that is a lot like drinking-- takes me out of reality.

The whole point to my sobriety is that I learn to manage--and enjoy-- my reality.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mamabama,

Congrats on 20 days, that's awesome! Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll definitely check it out. As a person who goes to AA and gained 30lbs in my first month or so of sobriety I can share my experience with you. First off, going to AA was a lesson in humility for me. I tried for years to stop drinking on my own and couldn't! I tried church, treatment centers, meditation, yoga, moving, changing friends, exercise, sex and everything else! Someone finally recommended I go to AA and I had been when I was younger at the courts insistence and really didn't think it was for me. Anyway, I went, never talked, just listened and at 28 days I relapsed and ended up hitting a bottom I never thought possible!

I humbled myself and went back to AA, but this time I promised myself I would do everything they told me to do! I got a sponsor, started sharing at meetings and even working the steps. They told me that I had a disease and that one of the cures that worked for millions of others was, in face, working the steps of AA and helping other alcoholics. All I can tell you is that it wasn't the easiest thing that I've ever done, but it's been the most rewarding thing I've ever done. I now have a peace and serenity that I never knew possible. I owe all of this to God and the program of AA. You'll hear a lot of 'negative' stuff about AA and I get it, I was one of those a year or so back myself because I wasn't ready to truly get sober. A friend told me this about AA. The program of Alcoholics Anonymous is not for the person who want's it or even for the person who needs it, the program of AA is for the person who is willing to work it in order to reap the benefits."

Now, can you stay sober by just going to a few meetings? Maybe, only time will tell. If you can that's awesome, I too LOVE speaker meetings where I can just sit back and hear others stories! I would think though that maybe if you open up a bit, you could actually help other new comers as well. They say there's a BIG difference between someone who just doesn't drink anymore and the person who actually 'recovers,' I'm relatively new to the program myself, but to me, this means I should follow the program and work the steps as this is actually what the program of recovery is through AA. I don't wan't to just NOT drink, I want to feel normal and have a life that's at peace!

So I guess if you can stay sober the way your doing it then heck yeah, go for it. If you find yourself in a relapse, maybe consider following the program a little more thoroughly.
Everyone has to find their own way and I'm in no way trying to diminish yours. I'm just sharing whats worked and not worked for me!

As for the weight gain! I have been exercising like crazy and have changed my diet significantly as well! I ate a mostly plant based diet for a bit, but tomorrow I'm actually starting The WHOLE 30 and will be trying that for 30 days.

I also have a journal in the fitness section of the forum where I journal my workouts and such ULTRADADS BACK TO TRAINING

Again, congrats on 20 days and all the best to you!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ultradad View Post
I humbled myself and went back to AA, but this time I promised myself I would do everything they told me to do! I got a sponsor, started sharing at meetings and even working the steps. They told me that I had a disease and that one of the cures that worked for millions of others was, in face, working the steps of AA and helping other alcoholics. All I can tell you is that it wasn't the easiest thing that I've ever done, but it's been the most rewarding thing I've ever done. I now have a peace and serenity that I never knew possible. I owe all of this to God and the program of AA. You'll hear a lot of 'negative' stuff about AA and I get it, I was one of those a year or so back myself because I wasn't ready to truly get sober. A friend told me this about AA. The program of Alcoholics Anonymous is not for the person who want's it or even for the person who needs it, the program of AA is for the person who is willing to work it in order to reap the benefits."
Thank you for this, it's a good reminder of something that's been hanging in my mind-- over the last few years I've become a shadow of the person I could be. I'm still a good person, but my depth and listening skills and insight and desire to be positive in the world took a back seat to... well... generally not caring. I'm looking forward to having that back. I want to do MORE than just exist without alcohol. There's more for me than what I've been doing. Maybe working the steps is part of that. Food for thought...
Old 07-31-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcohol has a lot of sugar and calories in it, so the body suddenly isn't getting what it has always had, so many experience more hunger to fill the gap!!

Keep pushing through, things will adjust in time, but whatever keeps you Sober in the meantime!!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Reading this made me hungry!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You're going to do GREAT Mamabama!

You deserve a wonderful life, go get it!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mambamama View Post
2) I've been going to AA meetings some. The first week and a half they were great to fill the time when I had huge cravings. NOw, I like to hear other people's experiences as I reflect on my own, and have gotten insight each time. Also, there are other non-drinkers there which maybe will lead my life in other non-drinking directions?? The question is this: I haven't started "working the steps". I still don't introduce myself as an alcoholic, because I don't want to, but I'm not drinking and don't have desire to drink. Isn't that the point? That I not drink? People are so into working the steps and I'm so glad it works for them, but if just not drinking and going to occasional meetings (once a week or so) helps me stay sober, then... am I missing something?!

Congratulations on your progress. A phrase I like “progress not perfection” is quite accurate as far as I’m concerned.

As far as your introduction is concerned, you can say I’m ***** and I’m sober today. That’s our goal! Labels can get us hung up on things that are not really that important, your there trying to get and stay sober like everyone there.

As far as the steps go they are the program and help us stay on target. Many of us have a fear of them because we are expecting some sort of ****** type of atmosphere. I call it fear of the unknown.
We need to remember that alcohol intake is but the tip of the iceberg. Engagement in the steps teach us why we drank and is to me a course in healthy living. Years ago I resisted the steps in the beginning with many objections and was asked how soon did I want to get better? For me doing the steps was the most enlightening experience I ever did and I attribute them allowing me feeling good in my own skin is the result.
It’s no race to complete them in a specified time, and they are basically private until you are ready to complete them.

BE WELL
Old 07-31-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I too got a lot out of Caroline Knapp's book. I was grateful for her realization that self pity was a big trigger for her. Me too. I have actually come to feel like "self pity" is almost part of my addiction..inherent to "its" personality so to speak.

As far as AA, a wise woman (7 years sober with AA) advised me the other day when I was about to pitch a fit 'bout something some "old timer" said to me (and was about to throw the whole AA deal in the trash)...no matter what anyone says to you, it is well intended and may in fact be right...but it's still YOUR program...not hers.."take what you need and leave the rest" as they say.

I will say though (despite being hesitant bout AA and it's 12 Steps in previous sobriety), the step process is one of moral and spiritual improvement. And by spiritual, I am fond of the following definition:

spirituality is centered on the "deepest values and meanings by which people live." It embraces the idea of an ultimate or an alleged immaterial reality. It envisions an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of his/her being.

I don't believe the step process is the ONLY way we are able to discover and develop the essences of our being..but it is their for taking now isn't it? Sobriety for me is a very spiritual process in of itself simply because I am actually conscious of my life...rather than wearing my booze googles I wear most of the time (or alternatively the blinders I wear in those hours between drinks before get to the next one).

And speaking of spirituality, I would also recommend the Spirituality of Imperfection which has been a huge part of my recovery process (almost like a warm cup of cocoa kind of read) that borrows not only from the spirituality borne of AA rooms...but many other faiths and wisdom.

As far as eating, I have never been an ice cream person yet I have eaten more of that in past month than I have in the last 20 years lol. Actually, I did read before that the "cassiene" (or some word like that) in ice cream is very helpful in satiating cravings borne of emotion and addiction.