Old 07-29-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thumper

Goodness reading that was like a peak into the future of my 13yo. He is so so very much like you describe. I worry more about him than any of my other kids. It is obviously a personality thing for him as he has no substance abuse - I can only imagine how much more difficult the addiction piece makes things. And you - dealing with that from an adult. My heart goes out to you.

Originally Posted by Recovering2 View Post
One of the best, hardest things I learned in a family recovery program was "No is a complete sentence." You have the right to say "No" without needing to justify, rationalize, explain. Your son will have his reaction....and that's okay too. Let him have his reaction. Let him kick, scream, complain, etc. His reaction does not require a response from you. Say "No" consistently and he will finally get the message. Give him the dignity as an adult to figure out his own way....stop rescuing. He has to learn to meet life on life's terms. From what you've described, he may be sober but I don't think he's found true recovery yet. If he works the steps honestly, he will learn to live differently. But as long as no one can say "No" to him, there is no motivation for change.
It's not easy.....but it works.

That is the only thing that works for me too :nod: The money train needs to come to an end. It is a challenge to be sure and sometimes the reactions can get pretty epic so I second whomever said assemble some moral support. You'll need it.