View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Wastinglife

My situation is a little different but I can relate. I did get a pretty good job after graduation and I worked there for about 7 years until my alcoholism pretty much destroyed that career. I was 30 when I resigned before I got fired. My performance reviews were getting worse and worse each quarter. I had to go to the pub at lunchtime each day for a couple pints just to stop my hands from shaking. I was also paranoid and thought I was going to be fired any day. I spent the next 4 years drinking full time and blew through my credit cards, lost my car to DUI, and got evicted from my apartment.

I went to rehab at 34 and have been struggling for the last 3 years to get my life back together. I have been working menial sales jobs because I can't pass a background check. So for the last 7 years, my work history is spotty with large gaps of unemployment. I raise too many red flags for most potential employers and I have had 3 decent job offers pulled after a background check.

I haven't figured out a way out of my hell yet but I know that it will never happen if I do not stay sober. There is always hope. That's all we have right now. You're not alone out there!