View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
grubby

Originally Posted by Citrusdrop7408
I just hit 1 year sober

Now all the responsibilities of the world are catching up

I went to college and graduated and never worked there, just considered myself a "full time student" (ha)

When I got out of college I just lived with my parents for the past 7 years drinking alone, never worked a day because of the withdrawals and need for alcohol, lied to my parents saying I was working and got money from selling stuff

Now I'm a year sober and I've finally realized I need to work and turn my life around, it is just terrible, applying for jobs with no work experience, I have dui's as well, if I do get a job the only ones that have called me for interviews are 10 bucks an hour

Can anyone relate? I know the advice is simple just keep at it and stay sober, guess I just need some support, is there any hope?
Hey man, don't be so hard on yourself.......... you say you have 1 year clean?? That's awesome!

I also wouldn't be so hard on myself regarding your unemployment scenario, look man........... the horrible economy is not your fault, it's beyond your control what other greedy people and un-seen forces have created. Millions upon millions of people are struggling just like you, at the very least, be thankful you still have your youth.

That said, 30 years old and never having made any "moves" in life is troubling to say the least, so i would say you are partially to blame for where you are in life - not counting the out-of-our control economic part. Could you provide us with some more details such as?

1. Typical dose of booze per day (ex. X beers, X shots, X glasses of wine)

2. Length of drinking career....... i.e. what age you started and any breaks in between, if any

3. If you even tried to get a job between ages 18 and 30?? I mean the economy is bad, that's a given, but i mean....... it's not SO bad that a person can't at least get a throw-away minimum wage job of some type.

Regarding #3. i've held a number of jobs the last several years, i guess-timate i held about 3 total............ not counting the ones that didn't last. I was also a regular drinker throughout this time-period. It is possible to go to work and then indulge in your booze afterwards, millions of people do so in this country every day. No excuses! You CAN have both, booze and a job.

But again, i don't know the extent of your drinking, so there again some more details would help us (the audience) point you in the right direction

And, welcome!