Old 07-26-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nodak88

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
You used the phrase,'normal' to describe your friends ability to drink alcohol. Normal usually means that they digest alcohol, at roughly the rate of about 1 and a quarter oz. per hour.... It may be, that you are like me, in Chapter 3 of the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' described as a 'real alcoholic', which simply means that my body digests alcohol at a much slower rate. Result the alcohol (drug) stays in my body, sending messages to my brain saying,'I want more!' Each time I take a drink,so the only way for that to stop, is total abstinence, if I don't take the first drink, the whole sordid, life destroying process can't start... For me the way to combat this was to develop a knowledge and understanding of the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' and the suggested 12 Steps, which I actively pursue to this day...plus what ever help and support is available here and at AA meetings, although they're not to everyone's taste... I hope this helps.
The "real alcoholic". This makes complete sense to me. I can have six beers and smell like booze until noon the next day. If I didn't have someone accountable for me the next morning, I would just have a few beers, which would turn into an all day drinking event. Thanks for this!