Notices

"Just have one or two and then stop." YEAH, sure.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Just have one or two and then stop." YEAH, sure.

I've always tried to quit alone. My friends are no help. They just don't get it.

"Just cut yourself off after two drinks."

Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

It's not their fault that they don't get it. They're normal. They know how to drink in moderation. When I tell them I want to quit, they get scared that they'll lose me as a friend. I don't blame them, I'm scared too. I'm making a huge life change and I don't know what tomorrow will bring. I'm taking it upon myself to shoulder a huge challenge. There's a good chance I'll be distant and quiet for a while. Maybe I won't be sociable. They're allowed to be scared but I'm allowed to find like-minded people who want to help me recover.

Where was I when I found SR?

I was alone in my living room, depressed, hungover and full of regret. I've never been part of a recovery community (or any internet community). This is all very new to me. It also seems like a fun distraction from my old ways. I like having a bunch of cheerleaders around to tell me that I'm making the right choice. I like knowing that my words of support might be the reason you enjoy another day of sobriety. We are all doing the right thing by making sobriety our goal. We are all doing a great thing by supporting one another.

Thank you and here's to a life of clarity.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm hungover and alone too. This is my first time here as well
Old 01-28-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks to SR, you don't have to quit alone! If you could cut yourself off after 2 drinks, you wouldn't be here. Congratulations on taking this step!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Normal ...

You used the phrase,'normal' to describe your friends ability to drink alcohol. Normal usually means that they digest alcohol, at roughly the rate of about 1 and a quarter oz. per hour....

It may be, that you are like me, in Chapter 3 of the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' described as a 'real alcoholic', which simply means that my body digests alcohol at a much slower rate. Result the alcohol (drug) stays in my body, sending messages to my brain saying,'I want more!'

Each time I take a drink,so the only way for that to stop, is total abstinence, if I don't take the first drink, the whole sordid, life destroying process can't start...

For me the way to combat this was to develop a knowledge and understanding of the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' and the suggested 12 Steps, which I actively pursue to this day...plus what ever help and support is available here and at AA meetings, although they're not to everyone's taste...

I hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thecultsection, I am 16 days sober and have socialized with friends who were drinking 4-5 times since quitting. Most of these were just me and a friend or friend and their spouse so it was obvious that I wasn't drinking. What amazed me is that the friend who drinks the least urged me the most to have "just one." My excuse is that I am dieting and don't want to lose any progress. I want to just pass on the socialization that includes alcohol but I want to keep my friends, most of whom are very moderate drinkers. I am not ready to admit that I have a drinking problem to the world. No thank you, I won't have A glass of wine, I want three at least. Meanwhile they are still on their first drink. Since I have figured out that I just drink for the buzz, I might as well not drink at all. Boy, what a realization that was, and it took me so long to figure it out. Right now I honestly don't know how long I will stay sober but when I read people's success stories of being one year sober it makes me think, maybe I could do that. I would like to get to know myself a year sober.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
You used the phrase,'normal' to describe your friends ability to drink alcohol. Normal usually means that they digest alcohol, at roughly the rate of about 1 and a quarter oz. per hour.... It may be, that you are like me, in Chapter 3 of the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' described as a 'real alcoholic', which simply means that my body digests alcohol at a much slower rate. Result the alcohol (drug) stays in my body, sending messages to my brain saying,'I want more!' Each time I take a drink,so the only way for that to stop, is total abstinence, if I don't take the first drink, the whole sordid, life destroying process can't start... For me the way to combat this was to develop a knowledge and understanding of the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' and the suggested 12 Steps, which I actively pursue to this day...plus what ever help and support is available here and at AA meetings, although they're not to everyone's taste... I hope this helps.
The "real alcoholic". This makes complete sense to me. I can have six beers and smell like booze until noon the next day. If I didn't have someone accountable for me the next morning, I would just have a few beers, which would turn into an all day drinking event. Thanks for this!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Unknown300864

Originally Posted by thecultsection View Post
I've always tried to quit alone. My friends are no help. They just don't get it.

"Just cut yourself off after two drinks."

Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

It's not their fault that they don't get it. They're normal. They know how to drink in moderation. When I tell them I want to quit, they get scared that they'll lose me as a friend. .
WOW I get the stop at 2 but as for my friends not being happy about me quitting...I have only just started making friends because im not drinking. im begged not to drink .. trust me id much rather be in a situation like yours than one where you think your having fun and everyone is hiding from you cause your loud obnoxious and a crazy ass drunk lol...