View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
theatredork

Yep

Yes, the first day is the hardest in a lot of ways. Don't forget, you're fighting the habit as well as the physical craving... I remember feeling like I was on "autopilot" and it was very strange not to pick up. Just for the next hour, don't pick up. Just for the next hour after that... the next five minutes... gets you to night and you can sleep/wake up refreshed in the morning.

Also I agree- several AA meetings around me (especially women's meetings) are welcoming to children. People understand that a baby is a baby... noises will happen. And even if you can't concentrate, you're somewhere that alcohol is not present, and you're surrounded by sober people. You're safe there.

And check with your local intergroup to see if there are specific child-friendly meetings. We have one nearby that actually provides free childcare. Even if they aren't listed as being child-friendly, if you call your intergroup office they may be able to put you in touch with a woman or two who have the "lowdown" on what meetings are REALLY like, because they have been to them.

Just don't pick up today!