View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Present4614

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post
Hi all,

I've been reading about post-acute withdrawal symptoms (PAWS). It's quite interesting. Seems that tiredness is one of the common symptoms, and can last on and off for some time. The suggestion is that our brains could take up to 2 years to replenish all of the neurotransmitters which addiction messed with.

I don't mind, in fact I think this is good news. It means there's a chance my energy levels will eventually get back to normal, and my brain will continue to get healthier. I can wait as long as it takes, and I definitely won't be voluntarily messing with my brain cells again.

I'm imagining that any relapse will just undo any healing that has already taken place.

91 days alcohol free, still tired, but so much more confident and clear headed than I have been for a long time.

Hope everyone's up for starting this week strong.
Congratulations Freein!! You are doing awesome. I've been really interested in the biology/chemistry of recovery, reading all kinds of stuff about the brain reconnecting - mostly because I am very impatient and want to know how long it will take for my brain to start functioning "normally". I felt like I lost the cravings right around 90 days (a few weeks ago) which I chalked up to the rewiring process.

My therapist gave me a book suggestion which I started reading last night - it's called Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love and Wisdom by Rick Hanson PhD. I'm hoping that practicing his procedures for meditation will help my brain heal faster