Old 07-20-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by ekym View Post
I don't believe it's necessarily the "not" drinking that promotes the anti-social issue's, although I sometimes feel if I were drunk then It might help bring out that witty and entertaining part of me that family members are constantly reminding me is missing from "their" lives, I just find that I don't know what I am supposed to say or do to keep up with the group. When your sober, how do you respond to the statement, "holy cow did we get sh*t faced last night" and "you should really try this x-brand drink, it's very good"

Oh, I defiantly need to stay vigilant, there is no doubt.

Thank you for the response
Would you really want to sacrifice all you have gained from 18 years of sobriety to humor a bunch of drunks? Sorry, I don't mean to speak ill of anyone in your life, but isn't that kinda what it amounts to? Why did you quit drinking? You mentioned it was initially for your daughter, who is now 19, but was that the only reason? Were you happy when you were actively drinking? If you were, I don't think you'd feel conflicted enough now to come here and ask our input.

Do you really want to "keep up with the group?" Keep up with what, conversation you find meaningless? Do you want to be like them? Really? You don't have to feel superior just because you're taking care of yourself and looking out for your best interest. I can't say how I'd respond to the kind of conversation you mentioned because I'm not around that environment. Most of the people I've associated with now know of my problems with alcohol and have the respect not to make such comments to me. Is that maybe what this comes down to? Maybe your family doesn't respect you and your choice to not drink? It's all about what they want?