Thread: 29 and single
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Katie,
No offence taken or intended. As the willing victim of a serial predator in AA, my first few weeks were a very steep learing curve to say the least. A lot of painful drama ensued, but I learnt a lot including that I wasn't such an innocent victim, that I was there for all the wrong reasons myself. I made amends for that and was forgiven. The lady moved on to the next one, which did not have such a happy ending.

AA is very good at helping people get sober, and has a wonderful fellowship in which I have made many life long friends, and I will make many more. It is a wonderful thing to be united in a common purpose.

But I have found that unity around a common solution to our common problem does not always extend that well to relationships. There are exceptions of course, but a lot of us find out after a while that all we have in common is a disease, which isn't much of a basis for a relationship.

AA is a total package, recovery, unity, service. If you go for those reasons you will have so many friends you will be amazed.