Thread: Moderation?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
FT

NightsWatch, thanks for bringing up the "real" alcoholic concept. I am personally not into the black-or-white rulebook of alcoholism, whereby you are either an alcoholic or you're not. I do think there are degrees of alcoholism, and to be sure, the enzyme disorder of acetaldehydism is certainly one level. However, along those lines, I do not subscribe to the "disease" concept of alcoholism.

Frankly, I think the concept of alcoholism is overwrought. I do not spend a lot of time thinking about disease concepts or labels -- either I have a problem with alcohol, or I do not.

For you, your body fought back and you either had to listen or pay the consequences, which I am sure were not an attractive option.

Being done is good. I am in the camp of people who ought not be told what they can and cannot do. I am not self destructive to do something just because I'm told I can't, but I would not likely stop doing something strictly because of some outside force removing the option from me. If that worked, getting a DUI would actually work to stop people from drinking, which it clearly does not. I fortunately escaped that, but it amazes me to recall that my husband and I used to drive around with coffee cups full of wine lest we not be discovered with an "open container" if we got pulled over.

I hope you are in good health now and have suffered no permanent damage from ETOH.