Thread: Moderation?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
FT

Personally, I do not either need or appreciate the "...and I will never change my mind" part of AVRT. The same way that I make no arguments or feel the need to explain my non-drinking position, the addition of the mind-changing part only seems to be redundant emphasis.

It becomes a little trickier with opiates, because I cannot honestly make the statement, "I will never use opiates again," because I may need surgery in the future. I will never refuse pain relief for surgery and postoperatively. I can only promise never to use opiates recreationally again, but frankly that is NOT enough. It is not enough because opiate pain medications are over-prescribed and are commonly used for conditions they were never designed to treat.

Many opiate users mislead their doctors into believing they need pain medication when something non-narcotic would work, oftentimes better than opiates do. Many of these same opiate users actually believe they need strong narcotics for pain and will fight to the death for the right to have them.

Because pain is subjective, who is to say when pain is too much to bear without strong narcotics? The unfortunate truth is that opiates commonly fail to work at some point, either because of hyperalgesia or because high opiate doses can only be sustained so high for so long -- often because the doctor quite correctly gets nervous about the need for higher and higher doses to get the same relief and starts to add other pain management strategies to try to control the patient's "pain." It is a real mess, and often the patient ends up with a "disability conviction" so bad that they become their pain and it truly disables them from having a functional life.

For myself, I will never use opiates recreationally again. I can take that one step further and state, I will never use opiates except for surgery and for a finite period of postoperative pain.

The AV can have a wild time with that last part, I agree.