Thread: 29 and single
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Katie88

Hi NorCal,

Thanks so much for your comments. I am sorry to hear about your experience, but you know from what I've previously posted that I definitely understand what you have gone through/are going through. I think it is a tough age. Realistically, probably 50% of us are single, but thanks to societal pressure and social media it feels like 1%. I have older mentors who tell me that people do freak out as 30 approaches and a lot of them rush into relationships, marry the wrong person, have kids they don't want, and make all kinds of bad decisions that they will regret in five years.

My truth that I was trying to express is that I am finding it hard to stay sober without a support network. Without a significant other or friends who are available to hang out, I do get lonely. I think that is probably pretty common not only among alcoholics but among single people who are of a certain age. And there is really no cure for it except time. People keep telling me that if I live my life and learn to love myself, the right person will come along. 100% of these people are in relationships, so easy for them to say. I think a lot of times people just say something they think sounds good to make themselves feel like they've given valuable advice. So I am not going to do that right now. All I can say is that I validate your feelings and I know exactly what you are going through.