Thread: 29 and single
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Katie88 View Post
Hi SJ. I have mixed feelings today. In light of writing about this on SR i came to the conclusion that part of the reason I've felt lonely is because i have been spending time with ONLY friends who are in serious relationships. Two of them are men who, before they had girlfriends, prioritized me and our friendship. Now that they both live with girlfriends my relationship with them have changed. I end up being the third wheel or feeling alone when they talk about "we're doing this" or "we're doing that." I realized that these relationships may be a huge contributing factor to why I've been feeling down about being single.

So I've put some boundaries up with these two and have decided not to hang out with them until I am in a better place emotionally. I know it sounds selfish to resent them for having girlfriends, and i don't think i can be a good friend if this is how i feel. Also, i need to make space in my life for people who can prioritize me...so have been looking into ways to involve myself in activities where i can meet new people. AA may be one of them. Thanks for asking SJ. How are you?
AA is not a social club Katie, it's sole purpose is to help people recover from the killer disease of alcoholism.

Having said that, there are plenty of lonely needy people in AA. The odds of getting into a realtionship are very good. But the goods are very odd.