Old 07-12-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
I just want to hear for anyone who thought it was impossible but now are sober
*Raises hands*

I was an everyday drinker (did skip some days occasionally but never more than 1 or 2 at a time) for about 8 years in my 30's with heavier and less heavy periods alternating, but a massive alcoholic. During this career I was 100% convinced about my serious addiction so little to no denial, and yet was unable to stop. I even knew about SR and posted very sporadically but never used it for good for a long time.

What made the difference about 5.5 months ago? What you said: commitment. And getting informed about recovery methods, reading in depth about other people's experiences, and making a firm decision that I wanted to quit finally no matter what and was ready to work on it. Made a plan what to try (many plans, in fact) and started experimenting with changing the dysfunctional components of my life. For me, SR has been essential during this process so far and I feel very committed to this community as well. I find the connection and interaction crucial for me. I also started working on several old stubborn issues of mine with a therapist and that's been great fun actually.

In my experience, if there is one key word to early recovery, it is commitment . And changes, and more changes. A completely new lifestyle, identifying problem areas and introducing healthy coping methods step-by-step, work in progress. AA is a great program, too - do whatever works best for you.

You can do this but it takes serious action!