View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 10:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
July1

Originally Posted by marie1973 View Post
I'm at a point that I need to be a sober person, is not right how I get and it upsets me to know that I have so much fear about becoming sober...I haven't said anything to my husband about quitting and I'm not sure how to get the words out....

Marie, you've set yourself up for a very difficult time. . . . . You need to get your husband on board.

You can tell your husband: "Hon, I want to lay off for awhile. Last night with the neighbors was not cool. I'll just say no, for thirty days, and see how it feels. Would you help me? I might have to skip a few things; it'd help if you didn't drink, or if you keep booze out of the house, just to make it easier for me."

No need to use words like alcoholic or sobriety, if you think it will make him upset. Full descriptions can come later. And it sounds like you know you need to achieve a zero level of consumption permanently-- but you don't have to tell him that right away.

As far as explaining to others, I've had some success with something which isn't a lie, technically-- my doctor said no booze to stop some chronic issues with GERD and my esophagus.

I know exactly how hard this is, Marie, and I know exactly what you're feeling right now. Lots of folks here do. There's no avoiding a few "white knuckle" moments, but you can manage those.