Old 07-04-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by masonHawk View Post

Isn't there anybody out there that has mastered this problem or at least learned how to tame it? Or has found a proper road to go down to try to resolve it.

Thanks for reading!
Yup, there are thousands of us. We call it untreated alcoholism or the spiritual malady. What it meant for me was that being sober was far from enjoyable to say the least.

As Dee said above, we have to do more than stop drinking, we have to make some changes in our way of life.

It turned out that drinking was not so much the problem as a solution, until it wasn't. My real problem was an inability to be comfortable in my own skin. When I stopped drinking my external world got better, but internally my world was falling apart.

For me and thousands of others who have felt this way, the method we used was AA and the twelve steps. Probably the last thing any of us wanted to do or thought we would end up doing. But we learned that the symptoms you describe so well are, for us, what always preceeded a relapse.

I wanted to stop for good, that was my first objective, but I was surprised to find this was not only possible, but I could be happy as well.