View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
biminiblue

I used to sell Real Estate. If it has been listed since 2008, there probably is no way to get financing for it.

If it sounds too good to be true...sorry. You said it was old. That's the first warning flag unless you have access to cheap labor and materials to do any and all repairs.

Usually in cases of long time listings there is more liability than value in a property. I hope I'm wrong - but like Amy says, ask the Realtor WHY it has been on the market so long before you even waste your several hundred dollars for an inspection. If you see any structural issues, walk away - it's not going to be financeable without a huge down payment that would essentially cover the repair costs for the lender. The lender is not going to lend on a property with substantial problems unless you cover that liability yourself with your down payment. Then you'll still have to pay to fix it on top of that.

If it was a super good investment it would have been gone long before seven years. Long listings are bad - really bad.