Thread: 15 Days
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
DisplacedGRITS
Crazy Cat Lady

Hi, DaretoDream! I felt like my first month sober was the longest each time I got sober. Well, I was awake a lot more than when I'd been drinking so I guess that's part of it! Also, I really, really wanted to stop raising my hand when they asked who in the room was in their first 30 days of recovery. The thing is, raising my hand during those 30 days went from something shameful to something wonderful. When I raised my hand, I was acknowledging that I was new and in need of help and willing to admit my defeat and accept help. Raising my hand was an act of acceptance and honesty, which are two principles I base my sobriety and my life on.

Don't wish away these early days of sobriety. They are the days you will reflect upon later and realize how amazing it was that you pulled through them. They're the days you will remember when you feel tempted. You'll remember how you felt during those days and never want to revisit that physical and mental strain. Our early days are precious and full of lessons to be learned. I am always amazed by people in their first month of sobriety, especially if it's their first sober month ever. You are doing this on the faith that it will get better. That is absolutely amazing. Congrats on having faith and carry this time with you so that you will continue to learn from it and share it with others who are struggling.

Keep it up! It really does get better.