View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
courage2
p***enger

Hi Jeni -- I can't believe I missed this thread so long.

My anxiety has gotten a lot worse since I stopped drinking, no surprise there since I drank out of anxiety. Drinking is no longer an option for me, so figuring out how to deal with the anxiety is kind of my project for the time being.

I do take meds -- a low dose of xanax (not every day) & anti-d's. I went a year sober last year without them and it was not tenable, for me.

Otherwise, I would say that I'm trying to increase time spent on things that relieve my anxiety, and decrease what raises my anxiety. I'm in AA, but the self-reflection of the steps makes me lose it. So does sharing at meetings. So for now, I just go and listen, and do a little service.

I'm trying to develop mental spaces that are peaceful, even beautiful. Like when I'm walking to work, which is always a bad time for the inner voices, I'm trying to make a mental monologue about the physical things I observe, to talk down the negative inner voice. It works pretty well just as a distraction, and sometimes it allows me to notice something outside myself that I would otherwise have missed.

Working is hard. I think it's good that you got some reduction in your load. I'm also seeking help on that front. I really recommend asking for help, whether it's from your boss, your husband, or your doctor -- or all three. The one thing I've learned in sobriety is that when I ask for help, it helps -- it's the things I don't ask for help about, that continue to fester and make me miserable.

Keep posting, there are a lot of us out here!