Old 06-28-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
mfanch
Recovered

Originally Posted by snowbunting View Post
For those asking why AA isn't an option - two reasons mainly. The first and most important (to me) reason is that I don't accept or believe in the higher power, and so for me to work the steps would seem false and disingenuous, not true to either myself or the program. The second reason is that I can't get to a meeting because the nearest one is 8 miles away in the evening and there are no buses in the evenings. The second reason could be worked on if I was desperate to attend of course, I could call them and see if anyone could offer me a lift or something, but it's irrelevant anyway because of Reason #1.
1. The steps will work for you whether you believe in them or not. I have a HP who I call "not me". It is more than enough to live a happy sober life.
Finite self vs. infinite possiblities....there is no dishonesty in MY conception of a power greater than I. The current problem is that we alkies play god, when we are just humans.

2. I have NEVER, in all my travels without a car, NOT been driven to and from a meeting by another AA member. It is service work. I would call the local AA number and someone will give you a ride.

I used #1 to stay out and drink for 20 years. I wish someone could have told me that I could be an atheist in AA when I was 18. Would have saved me a lot of devastation.