Old 06-28-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Hi, and welcome. It's difficult to say what sorts of things you could do to occupy your time without knowing more about you and what you enjoy doing. There has to be something you like doing when your husband isn't away. I don't imagine you just follow him around the whole time. I am very much a loner and did all my drinking in isolation, but I also used drinking as a reason to isolate myself even more. So, now I've ended up with no friends. No one to call on. I have joint custody of my children (50% during Summer and 20% during the school year) but other than that, there has been nothing.

I don't follow the AA creed or do the steps either but I have started going just to be around other people who know what I'm going through, people who get it. I'm finding that most of them are just normal people like I am. I've also just started forcing myself to speak to people I would ordinarily never say a word to. Doesn't matter if it's something as trivial as the weather. Just say something. It helps to break up the monotony. I've paid people compliments and that gives my spirit a lift as well.

Think long and hard about things you enjoy that do no involve alcohol. If alcohol sufficed to fill your time, you wouldn't be here asking for ways to stop using it. So, you already know it only makes matters worse. It only magnifies the misery and unhappiness, right? Avoid it at all costs. It's easy to sink back into it because it's familiar and it numbs even the reasons you're sinking back into it, but it's a trap and a cycle of madness. You have to break it.