Old 06-28-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
snowbunting

Thanks for the responses. Sorry if some felt I wasn't being up front about my drinking. I know addiction is its own reason, and the other things are incidental. I guess I was just looking for people to share their own experiences of what they do now if being alone was a trigger in the past: things you actively do, especially early in recovery, when your support system is weakened and you're alone.

For those asking why AA isn't an option - two reasons mainly. The first and most important (to me) reason is that I don't accept or believe in the higher power, and so for me to work the steps would seem false and disingenuous, not true to either myself or the program. The second reason is that I can't get to a meeting because the nearest one is 8 miles away in the evening and there are no buses in the evenings. The second reason could be worked on if I was desperate to attend of course, I could call them and see if anyone could offer me a lift or something, but it's irrelevant anyway because of Reason #1.

Thanks for the practical suggestions, I'm giving them some thought. I'd love to hear more of other people's experiences too