View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
secondmanup

Ultimatum or a boundary

The is a new twist on my previous post.

My ex recovered gf who was allegedly in love stated half way into our relationship that I could no longer ever drink a beer again or she would leave. I don't get drunk. I prob have total of 4-6 in a week over multiple days. I go days without. Anyhow, in the beginning of our relationship she said it was ok as long as I didn't have a beer in front of her. Later she hands me an ultimatum. It seemed completely irrational to me. I asked her if I cracked a beer at my campsite 500 miles away, is that ok? Answer was no. I was so confused and upset. I totally respect her alcoholism and would never see her even if I had a beer that day. I didn't want to even have anything on my breath. However she still gave me an ultimatum. I respected her wishes for about 6 weeks but eventually rebelled. I had a few beers with friends one night over pizza. I told her, she dumped me. Her tone in her voice was as if I slept with her best friend. She wanted to marry me, but now we're done. Was she being controlling?protecting herself? If so, from what? If I thought she was being reasonable I would have happily complied. However it seemed irrational and I became rather resentful. What gives?